Sunday, April 27, 2014

Absence Makes the Heart Grow More Eager for Updates!

Let me apologize right now for my prolonged absence...it's been partially intentional, but also circumstantial.  Ever since March, following a significant event, I've been working on a blog post, and I'm still not done with it.  Don't worry, it's not that long - I just want to make sure it conveys the point I'm trying to make (you'll understand why when it comes time to post!).

However, I feel as if I need to post to update folks on some stuff going on, so I can keep people in on the loop, and to properly document this journey!

I had been doing really well with everything - like, really, REALLY well with my routine and program - working out at least 3 days a week (I had worked up to 5 miles...which is AMAZING for me!), sticking to a whole, natural foods diet, etc.

Then it happened - two Fridays ago I began having symptoms that I've experienced multiple other times before.  I didn't worry too much at first, because I've learned to give the symptoms about a week to either kick into full gear or resolve themselves.  Well, of course, they didn't resolve themselves - unfortunately.  So, last Tuesday Andrew and I booked a last-minute appointment with a new doctor (to me) at the practice that I go to.  I had to have an on-the-spot ultrasound (nothing too significant was found) and my hemoglobin had dropped .6 since the beginning of March - but she wasn't overly concerned to the point of transfusion - which I was mostly concerned about.  She put me on some medicine to help get my symptoms under control - which thankfully worked this go around (there was a time in the past that it didn't).

But also, in talking with her, she asked us to keep our already-scheduled appointment with my regular doctor this upcoming Tuesday.  She stated that I would need to have a 2nd US at this appointment for my doctor to rule out the need to have a surgical procedure done again that I had done early 2012.  Then she stated that we would also be discussing the possibility of a second procedure.  I'm not too worried about either of these - one I've had done before, and I knew given my endometriosis and adenomyosis, I will probably have to have multiple times.  The other, while in-patient in nature, is a non-invasive radiological procedure that has the potential to really help me!

She also stated that her recommendation to my typical doctor is to begin me on a medication immediately that Andrew and I have been informed about and have been praying about and discussing for the past few weeks.  We thought it wouldn't happen for another 6 months, and now we're being told it might be happening as soon as a week from then (now TWO days!).  We're excited about the potential that this medication provides, but are also aware (through research, talking with the doctors, and consulting with friends who have also been on this medicine) that it's not for the faint at heart - the next few months are going to be difficult potentially.

Also, on Tuesday, prior to this appointment at 10:30,  I'm consulting with a new hematologist at 8:30!  Oh boy!  Point of this appointment will be to consult about my hemoglobin/anemia issues and the possibility for me to undergo iron infusions again (since my body doesn't seem to absorb iron through supplements).  I've had these in the past, and while not worrisome, I remember the last few weeks of my last round were somewhat unpleasant due to my body building up natural defenses to the amount of iron it was being inundated with on a weekly basis.

All of this is to inform you of where I currently stand in my journey, BUT ALSO to come to you all, our friends and family, and ask for prayer.  Pray for guidance and sound medical advice throughout my appointments.  Pray that Andrew and I not feel pressured to make decisions that aren't the best for us (not that this is a concern at the moment - but you never know!).  Just pray for whatever may come to mind in regards to us over the next few days - it would greatly be appreciated!

Thank you all so much - you have no idea how much this means to us!



*Oh yeah, and there's another unspoken prayer request we have in regards to Tuesday - so if you'd cover that as well, that'd be appreciated as well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment