Sunday, March 2, 2014

Move Over Girl Scouts...

So, I think it's become evident that I have a newfound obsession with quinoa.  It's seriously my new go-to for almost EVERYTHING.  A week ago it was a quinoa vinaigrette salad.  Yesterday it was pizza bites.  And later this week we're planning on a broccoli & cheese quinoa dish for dinner.

But today, it was cookies.  Yes, quinoa cookies.  And not just any quinoa cookies.  These things are (simply put) - AMAZING.

And believe it or not, they came about as part of my own concept (*shocker!* - right mom?!).  Yes, the foundation of the cookie recipe was very similar to the one found here.  But, I don't like nuts and dried fruits in my cookies...

So, I cut those out.

And then got to thinking....since my recent lifestyle change, I've shown great restraint when around those cute little girls in green smocks peddling delicious cookies.  Like, really - passed some yesterday at the Gaffney outlets.  She offered cookies.  I politely responded with "no thank you" and quickly scurried away to avoid her temptation.  (Of ALL times of year to commit full-force to such a lifestyle change!  What was I thinking?!)

So, this is what ended up coming about...

Chocolate Coconut Quinoa Delights
3 cups cooked quinoa
2 cups flaked unsweetened flaked coconut
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
½ cup honey
2 medium eggs

4 Isa Delight Chocolate Squares (I prefer the Dark Chocolate, but Milk Chocolate would do well too ~ if you want to know how to purchase this amazing chocolate, let me know!)
a pinch of salt
a splash of almond milk (unsweetened)


Preheat oven to 350F.  Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners.

Mix the cooked quinoa and coconut flakes in a large bowl.

In a smaller bowl, mix the oil, honey, eggs, and salt.



Combine the contents of the two bowls and mix well.  Fill paper liners with mixture, and pack in gently.  This mixture should yield approximately 20 medium sized cookies.



Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.



Melt pieces of chocolate in microwave.  Make sure to add a splash of unsweetened almond milk to help the consistency of the melted chocolate.

After chocolate is melted and cookies have cooled somewhat, top each cookie with a drizzle of chocolate.

(Apologies, my "drizzler" is a little broken - I opted for a small dollup of chocolate on each!)


And voila!  Cookies that rival those blasted, sinful girl scout contraband - that are high in protein and iron (yay!), and a healthier alternative!



If you know of any other creative, healthy snacks like this, please let me know!  Comment on the blog or pass along by other means!  Also, always receptive to new quinoa recipes!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment