Thursday, February 20, 2014

Why the Change?

20.

That's the number of days I've been invested in my lifestyle adjustment.  I was hesitant to write at length about the motivation behind the adjustments I've been making until now due to not knowing if I would truly embrace these changes, if they'd work, or if I would be received by friends and peers as just trying to tout another "fad diet".

But I can assure you - my motives are genuine.  I've already noticed a notable change in my mind, body, and spirit as a result of making these adjustments.  Not just mine.  But my family (my parents have lost over 100 pounds combined!  Wow!  - but that's a story for another post at another time!).  My husband's family.  My closest friends.  My coworkers.  And let me tell you, I've found an amazing support system around me by doing this.

I've started this blog for multiple reasons.  First, I'm a much better at writing out what I'm trying to say than I am at actually talking.  When I speak, I trip over my words, I speak too soon, I say too much.  When I write, I'm more coherent, more thoughtful, more articulate.  Secondly, I'm busy.  My job keeps me crazy busy.  I work twelve hours a day at least 2 days a week.  My job requires that one week a month, I'm accessible 24/7.  I'm a team lead - a boss.  I'm responsible for a team of people and their job performance.  I'm a therapist - a counselor.  I'm responsible of other's mental health treatment.  I don't always have time to post updates.  But, as evident by this post, when I want to update you, I can make it substantial and worth your while! :)

My story (At least, approximately 4 years of background of "My story")

Let me give a little bit of background information as to what has motivated me to make my change and commit to a journey of health and wellness.

As many (but certainly not all) of you know - I've had a myriad of health conditions over the past few years.  Everything from IBD to confounding reproductive health issues (PCOS, endometriosis, adenomyosis, menorrhagia - have fun looking those up!) to chronic, debilitating anemia.   

At my darkest, unhealthiest moment, my hemoglobin levels dropped to an astounding 3.7.  For comparison, the lower end of a "healthy" range of hemoglobin in the blood for a female is around 12 - around a 8 or 9, many doctors begin discussing blood transfusions with their patients.  Needless to say, over the next couple of years I underwent multiple blood transfusions, had estrogen infused directly into my body for a 24 hour period, and underwent weekly iron infusions for a period of time due to my body not being able to absorb oral iron supplements any longer.  

I think it's really telling when I look back at my life during this time, browse my computer, etc. and realize that I honestly don't really have any pictures of me during this time.

All of these before mentioned measures helped alleviate some of the immediate health issues, but definitely didn't address the underlying, persistent, SERIOUS medical issues I was experiencing.  That's when I was given the following options: undergo a full hysterectomy at the age of 25 or undergo a 6-month regimen of an exhausting (in my experience) injection/medication called Lupron.  You may have heard of it.  It is actually a drug that is used to treat advanced prostate cancer in men by reducing the amount of testosterone the body produces.  In women, it treats endometriosis and is used in conjunction with other  medications in infertility treatments.  It reduces the amount of estrogen a woman's body produces.  The way my (new) doctor explained it to me (I fired the doctor that recommended the hysterectomy during this time - I just thought that was a hasty recommendation to make), Lupron would "reboot" my body.  Little did I realize, "reboot" was a nice way of saying I was going to be slung into the pits of menopause in my mid-20's.  

Don't get me wrong - I don't feel like my doctor misled me.  Lupron was exactly as my doctor had explained.  The medicine did what it was supposed to (And, btw - I HIGHLY recommend this particular doctor - I'm forever grateful to a friend who recommended him!).  

However, it did a lot of other things.  Going through full-fledged menopause for 6 months at the age I was took it's toll on my young body.  Over the course of those 6 months, I gained about 35 pounds.  My energy levels were absolutely shot.  It wasn't until about 6 months after being completely off the shots that I started feeling like my old self in some capacity again.  I still get residual pain in my hip where the injections were administered from time to time.  I ache like no other at other times.  

If I knew then what I know now about how Lupron would affect my body, would I do it over again?  Absolutely.  Without a doubt.  I was being confronted with a "get out of jail free" card of sorts - Lupron was my last line of medicinal intervention before very invasive and personal surgery, and I feel as if it has done it's part in mending certain medical issues that were wreaking havoc in my life.

So why am I making this change in my life?

I want to be healthy so I can be there for my children (when that time comes).  I want to be healthy so I can HAVE children.  I'm not claiming that the changes I'm making are some miracle combination or cure to make me more fertile, make me conceive quicker, etc.  That's foolish and ridiculous.  What I mean by saying that is that I was fortunate enough to be given a second chance with the body God blessed me with, and I am going to give it all of my effort to ensure that I do my part to maintain a healthy body moving forward.  My health issues weren't my fault or doing, I know - but there are small changes and lifestyle adjustments I can make to aid in keeping symptoms from returning again.  If I can't have children ultimately, that's ok - I've come to accept this as a possible truth.  Andrew and I have discussed and determined that we will adopt to grow our family.  And at that point, I will still want to be healthy so I can HAVE children as my own - maybe not by biological means, but still have them nonetheless.

Also, let me just get real with you for a second - the above mentioned medical procedures weren't cheap.  If I'm being honest.  Over the past 3 years, I've been able to claim over $17,000 in medical expenses on my taxes.  If I can offset those costs by simply investing my money in a healthy, life promoting lifestyle change for a fraction of the price - it's definitely worth it to me!

Finally, some of my own prayers have already been answered through the success others have found with this.  I've seen others succeed and thrive.  I've seen profound change be accomplished in others.  I've already noticed change in myself as well.  20 days in, and already have shed 11.5 pounds.  20 days in, and I'm already down 15 inches.  I'm excited and motivated by these more immediate results.  But I'm also anxious and eager to see what other positive results it brings about!

So what now?

Follow Me - Read my blog.  Leave comments on my posts.  Give your input.  Discuss topics with me and others.  This helps motivate me!  It helps keep me accountable.  I already have a great support system around me, but adding to that would always be a great asset!

Support Me - How I'm deciding to address my personal health and wellness may not be for you - that's fine.  It's not for everyone.  It doesn't hurt my feelings in the slightest.  We all choose our own path to health and wellness - even sometimes choosing paths that have direct adverse affects on these two elements of our lives.  All I ask is that you be supportive.  I would never want to tear someone down who was trying to make positive change in their life.  I would never want to negatively impact someone's positive journey.

Ask Me - If you want to know more about what changes I'm making and have made to my life, ask me!  If you want to know more about the health and wellness system that I've implemented in my daily routine, I'm more than happy to inform!  I want this journey in my life to encourage and illicit positive change in others - I want to talk to you!  Feel free to reach out to me at any time, through any means.  And if you feel like you have friends, family, or anyone you know who may be interested in following my journey, or might want to talk with me, feel free to share or pass along!

No comments:

Post a Comment