Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Top 10: Workout Songs


I don’t know what I’d do at the gym if it wasn’t for my iPod.  Yes, I go to a gym that has twenty (yes, 20!) TVs lining the cardio equipment, but I can’t stand watching TV while working out - I definitely find music motivates and drives me more effectively.  So, out of the 138 songs on my workout playlist, I decided to list out my “Top 10” and let you know about them!  Make sure to comment and let me know what your recommended tunes are to get the best workout so I can make sure to download too!

#1 Best I Ever Had (Gavin DeGraw)

Best For: fast paced cardio

Super up-beat and easy to keep up with, I absolutely love this song.  I will play this to pick up the pace of my 5k loop or keep the speed up on the stationary bike.  

Random fun fact: This song was supposed to be played at mine and Andrew’s wedding reception (but wasn’t) because we had invited guests from all of the states Gavin lists in the song except North Dakota....

#2 Love Don’t Die (The Fray)

Best For: Interval training

I will put this song on repeat for interval training.  Not only is it positive, upbeat song -  it has durations perfect for mild interval training.

#3 "Carolina Boys" (Lee Brice)

Best For: A fun pick-me-up in the middle of your workout when you find yourself checking the time on the clock

I know I consistently find myself in a tug-of-war between my body and mind when it comes to pushing through my workouts.  When this song comes on, it’s so fun and upbeat, it helps reset my brain to the workout at hand.  Plus, it doesn’t hurt that I have myself a Carolina Boy.  ;)

#4 “All the Right Moves” (OneRepublic)

Best For: Low intensity floor workouts/stretches

I find myself drawn to this song when I’m working on strengthening my core on the floor.   Doesn’t exactly scream “workout” material when you first listen to it, but watch the music video and listen to it a few times more, and you’ll get sucked in.

# 5 “Eyes Open” (Taylor Swift)

Best For: Cool Downs

I think the lyrics of this song get me motivated more than anything.  Even in the “slower” moments of my workouts, I still want to be motivated and pushed.

“Everybody's waiting for you to breakdown // Everybody's watching to see the fallout // Even when you're sleeping, sleeping // Keep your eyes open”

# 6 “Mighty Warrior” (Elevation Worship)

Best For: Spiritual/Body workout combo

I have a huge mix of types of music on my workout list, but would be at a loss if I didn’t include some praise and worship music too.  I especially love this song because of the upbeat tempo.  I catch myself singing this song mid-workout at times, even!

#7 “Everything to Everyone” (Everclear) -or- “Fall Behind Me” (The Donnas)

Best For: Weight training after an especially stressful day

I don’t know, but I find these songs to be incredibly cathartic during weight training sessions after I’ve had my tail handed to me at work between obligations and clients.  And I usually find myself pushing myself a little harder than I normally would when these songs comes on.

#8 “My Body” (Young the Giant)

Best For:  When you need that extra motivation to push through the last part of your workout

I think the line “My body tells me no // But I won't quit // Cause I want more” is motivation enough.

And I find it interesting how the song came about (because I’m a nerd like that):

“According to singer Sameer Gadhia, "My Body" was conceived at the end of a frustrating day for the band. "Why don't we just jam something out, like the most ridiculous thing you could imagine?" Gadhia recalled the discussion. "It doesn't even have to make sense. Just yell it out, because it means you're releasing your tension." Ten minutes later, he said, "the entire song had been created.””

#9 “Kryptonite” (E-Manuel)

Best For: Motivation to pump out the most intense sprint possible

Yes, this is the Punk Goes Crunk cover of this song.  I used to always make sure that this was one of the songs that came on when I would do my “Zombies, Run!” workouts last spring/summer.  I definitely gets your pace up and keeps it up for the duration of the song!

#10 "Stand By Me" (KI:Theory)

Best For: Your indie-rock workout fix

I’ll be honest, I’m somewhat obsessed with this song.  It’s not your typical “Stand By Me” cover, I’ll forewarn you.  I was introduced to this song when it was used at the closing of an episode of one of my favorite shows, “The Following”.  Very dark, but still awesome!  (FYI - KI:Theory’s entire album is available for complete download for free at kitheory.com)


So...what’s your workout tune fix?  Let me know!  I’m always looking for new songs to add to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment